information and symptoms for Braxton-Hicks Contractions
Infant Percentiles Calculator Pregnancy Calculator Health Tips

History of Braxton-Hicks Contractions

John Braxton-Hicks was born in 1923 in Sussex, England. He was privately educated from the age of twelve and at the age of eighteen, became apprentice to Dr. Fluder of Lymington. John Braxton-Hicks was accepted into the Guy’s Medical School at the hospital of the same name. He received his masters in 1847. And, earned his M.D. in 1851. Dr. John Braxton-Hicks held a diploma from the Royal college of Surgeons, the Society of Apothecaries and in 1871, became the president of the London Obstetrical Society. He was in private practice with an associate for a few years. Then, was recruited back to Guy’s Hospital where he accepted a position as Associate Obstetrician in 1858.

Dr. John Braxton-Hicks did extensive research on the latter stages of labor. There are considered three stages of labor. There are the first, second and third trimesters. Dr. John Braxton-Hicks noticed that many women complained of discomfort around the lower abdomen and painful contractions as the pregnancy progressed into the second and third trimesters. These seemed to be labor pains except that the intensity and frequency did not progress to delivery. The women’s discomfort seemed to subside with increased exercise, changing their prone or lying position, and increasing hydration. Hicks research and has not been found to be of any other origin to this day. Dr. John Braxton-Hicks enjoyed many honors and became a fellow of Royal Physicians of London in 1866. He died a well respected Physician in Lymington, England in 1897.

The information contained on this site is for here for educational purposes only and is not meant for diagnosis or treatment or be considered as medical advice. Any information that is found within this site should be discussed with a health care professional. Use of this website and information found whitin should be done in accordance with the health care plan outlined by your health care professional. For specific medical advice, and treatment, please consult your doctor.